Southwest Airlines said flights will be nearly back to normal today.
- The latest: Only a handful of flights have been canceled so far, compared with about 2,500 yesterday, as tens of thousands of passengers try to return home from the holidays.
- This will be a huge relief: A storm and a breakdown of the airline’s internal technology caused a travel meltdown over the past week, stranding people across the country. Over 15,000 flights were canceled.
A House panel released Donald Trump’s tax returns this morning.
- What’s in them? Post reporters are reviewing the documents, and we’ll have updates here with any findings.
- Why this matters: The former president fought for years to keep these returns secret, and today’s release could help explain why.
- What else to know: This is coming in the final days of Democratic control of the House. Republicans will hold the majority when a new session of Congress starts Tuesday.
It looks like 2023 will begin with storms across the South.
Pelé, Brazil’s “king of soccer,” died yesterday.
- How we’ll remember him: The 82-year-old was the world’s most celebrated athlete for decades. He helped Brazil win World Cup titles in 1958, 1962 and 1970.
- What else to know: Pelé died at a hospital in São Paulo of complications from colon cancer, his manager said.
- The tributes: Soccer’s biggest present-day stars, including Brazil’s Neymar and Argentina’s Lionel Messi, have paid their respects.
Vivienne Westwood, the provocative British fashion designer, has died.
- Her legacy: She was a style icon and environmental activist who helped clothe the 1970s punk movement before dressing supermodels on the runways of Paris and Milan.
- The 81-year-old died in London yesterday, her fashion house said. We don’t yet know the cause.
The College Football Playoff semifinals are tomorrow.
There are lasting benefits to “Dry January.”