As tax season approaches, low- to moderate-income Santa Barbara County residents will have the opportunity to put more money back in their pocket with the help of United Way of Santa Barbara County’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA).
From Feb. 6-April 18, volunteers at VITA sites throughout the community will provide free tax-filing services to local residents making $67,000 or less annually. IRS-certified volunteers will provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
Last year, United Way’s VITA program filed 2,784 tax returns, creating more than $2,678,237 in federal refunds to local community members.
Following is information on times and places to get assistance:
United Way of Santa Barbara County
Saturdays, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
320 E. Gutierrez St.
Monday, Wednesdays, noon-4:30 p.m.
935 San Andres St.
Tuesdays, Thursdays, 3-7 p.m.
1102 E. Montecito St.
Goleta Valley Community Center
Fridays, 9 a.m.-noon; 1-4 p.m.
5679 Hollister Ave.
AARP Tax Aid
UCSB (parking fees may apply)
Fridays, 1:30-4:30 p.m., Psychology East, Rm. 1805
Saturdays, 12:30-3:30 p.m., Phelps Hall, Rm. 1513
Carpinteria Children’s Project
Feb. 11, Feb. 25, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
5201 8th St.
People Helping People
Feb. 18 and March 4, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
545 Alisal Road No. 102, Solvang
What to bring:
- Copy of prior year federal and state tax returns for years to be done: ( 2020 for 2021, 2021 for 2022)
- Copy of photo ID and spouse’s if filing jointly (driver’s license or passport)
- Copy of Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer ID Numbers (ITIN) for each family member
- For married filing jointly, both spouses must be present to review tax return and sign return
- For all jobs W-2s, 1099s, 1098s for all years tax returns to be done
- IRS letter 6419 “Advanced Child Tax Credits,” if received during the later part of 2022
- IRS letter 6475 “Third Economic Impact Payment” and other payments received from IRS (2020, 2021, 2022) and California Franchise Tax Board 2021 and 2022
- Copy of voided check if direct deposit or refund requested
- Bank routing and account numbers (if using direct deposit)
- All forms for 1095 Health Insurance statements
Dates and times are subject to change, for the most up to date information, visit: unitedwaysb.org/VITA
To learn more about United Way of Santa Barbara County, visit unitedwaysb.org.